بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
The Prophet (s.a.w.a.s.) explicitly mentioned the name of Imam Ali (as) in his sermon about forty times besides many more instances that he (s.a.w.a.s.) referred to him by pronoun. He (s.a.w.a.s.) repeatedly used the following titles for Imam Ali (a.s.) in this sermon:
- Wali and Mawla (guardian) fifteen times.
- Imam (leader) twelve times.
- Amir (commander) seven times.
- Wasi (executor of the will and deputy of the affairs)seven times.
- Akh (brother) four times.
- Khalifa (successor) three times.
- Hadi (guide) three times.
- The Prophet explicitly mentioned the word A’imma (Imams), referring to the eleven Imams after Imam Ali (PBUH), nine times in his sermon.
- The sermon also refers to over one hundred verses of the Holy Quran concerning Imam Ali (PBUH) and his authority, his followers, and their enemies.
The number of sentences categorized by some important subjects of the sermon is as follows:
- Over fifty sentences on the Walaya of Imam Ali (a.s.).
- Twenty sentences about his virtues, yet stressing that it is impossible to enumerate all his virtues in the sermon.
- Twenty-five sentences about the followers (Shia) o fImam Ali (a.s.) and their enemies.
- Ten sentences on the Walaya of the Imams (PBUT) afterhim.
- Twenty sentences specifically about Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.), the last divinely appointed Imam who will establish the divine government on earth at the end of time.
- Twelve sentences about the importance of the Quran, and introducing Imam Ali (a.s.) and his children as its exclusive authorized interpreters.
- Ten sentences on urging people to pledge their fealty to Imam Ali (a.s.) and the Imams after him from his offspring.